Normal is Over.
If you have a Brooklyn Public Library library card you can watch for free videos on your computer or smart TV via the Kanopy database on the library’s website.
This week I viewed Normal is Over.
The documentary focuses on how the prevailing “economic growth” model is the chief culprit in climate change.
I recommend you watch this film. I wrote down too many quotes from the video to transcribe them here.
Yet I can tell you this: climate change is no joke. We can’t continue to ravage our earth in the name of consumerism to buy more and more products.
Highlights of Normal is Over:
- 97 percent of climate scientists agree that climate change is man-made.
- Producing beef uses 16,000 liters of water.
- Elephants may become extinct by 2020 if they continue to be killed for money.
- The $200Billion/year that one professional estimates it would take to save civilization from climate change is less than the cost of funding the military.
- Most GMO soy and corn feeds factory animals that are slaughtered.
- 1% of the population owns 1/2 of its total wealth.
After watching this film I decided to write a series of blog entries about how the best way to heal the planet is to first heal ourselves.
In the coming blog entry I will start to talk about this in more detail.